Pages

Friday 13 February 2015

#365PictureBooks 44. What do Werewolves do when it's not Halloween? by Heath McKenzie

McKenzie, H. (2013). What do Werewolves do when it's not Halloween? Lindfield, Australia: Scholastic.

ISBN: 9781742838793

Pages: 24
Age Level: Early Childhood 0-6 / Middle Childhood 7-12
Genre: Picture Storybook
Rating: 4 stars

---------------

Just what do Werewolves and all the other supernatural creatures get up to when it's not Halloween?  Do they hide in dark closets, or do they get up to mischief?  Join Heath McKenzie as he takes you for a romp through the lives of your favourite ghouls, ghosts and spooks, and find out just what Werewolves do after Halloween. 

With a rollicking great rhyme and a funky font this is a great picture book to share with young and old kids alike.  Older kids will 'get' the humour of it more-so than the pre-school kids, but I can see them laughing their way through story time if you read this with them.



McKenzie's illustrations are just so awesome as well.  He uses humour in his images to turn what some people find scary (monsters) into a hilarious twist on our own relaxation activities.  There are so many great things to see on each page that I can't choose a favourite.  I just love them all so much.  I've got to admit though that I'm quite partial to the library scene!

This is a wicked-cool addition to your collection, especially if like me you are a fan of all things supernatural.  And maybe after reading this, those kids that are usually scared of things that go 'bump' in the night won't be so scared any more :-)

I got my copy of What do Werewolves do when it's not Halloween? from the Taradale Primary School library where I work. 

Oops I couldn't find a copy at Napier Libraries.


Check out Heather McKenzie's website on how she came up with the idea for What to Werewolves do when it's not Halloween?

No comments:

Post a Comment