Pages

Sunday 8 February 2015

#365PictureBooks 39. My Dad is a Superhero by Ruby Brown, illustrated by Lesley Vamos

Brown, R., & Vamos, L. (2013). My Dad is a Superhero. Richmond, Australia: Chirpy Bird.

ISBN: 9781742976396
Pages: 24
Age Level: Early Childhood 0-6
Genre: Picture Book
Rating: 4 stars

---------------

He is SUPER STRONG.
He can FLY really high.
And he can turn INVISIBLE.
He's my amazing DAD,
THE SUPERHERO. 

This is a gorgeous book about everyone's superhero ... our DAD!

The text is very simple - only one line per page, with language appropriate for this age group.  Even though it is a simple story, it will work really well with year 3 & 4 students, just for the sheer fun of it!

Vamos's illustrations bring the story to life.  Each brightly colourful page visually depicts what the text is telling us.  My favourite (actually one of many) is the page showing dad's invisibility powers.  So super cool!

There is so much humour shown in the illustrations.  Some of the situations are just so realistic, and I'm sure we thought our parents had superpowers too.  Adults will probably get just as much (if not more) pleasure out of reading this book to their kids - especially if we can see ourselves as the parent!!

What a fantastic book to share at any time, and especially for Fathers Day.  It will make a great addition to our collection of superhero books - I've got one teacher that just loves doing this theme with her year 3 & 4 kids each year.

I got my copy of My Dad is a Superhero from the Taradale Primary School library where I work. 

You can find a copy at Napier Libraries.


No comments:

Post a Comment