Pages

Monday 5 January 2015

#365PictureBooks 5. Oh Dear, what can the matter be? by P. Crumble, illustrated by Simon Williams, performed by Jay Laga'aia

Crumble, P. (2014). Oh Dear, what can the matter be? Gosford, Australia: Scholastic.

ISBN: 9781743622377
Pages: 24
Age Level: Early Childhood 0-6
Genre: Picture Storybook / Stories in Rhyme
Rating: 4 stars

---------------



I love Crumble's work.  I noticed in the last year that I have been drawn to his(?) books as the combination of his humour and the illustrators of his books make for a bright and fun read. 

And he doesn't disappoint in this lively rendition of Oh Dear, what can the matter be?  Be careful because it is a bit of a tongue-twister!  For those who can't remember how the tune goes there is an accompanying CD with the lyrics sung by Jay Laga'aia.



Williams' fantastically amazing, bright and colourful illustrations, really bring the song to life.  There are so many different things to see on each beautifully illustrated page with the characters from one page flowing through to the next page.  I particularly love the first page with the ducks stuck in the lavatory!

It's great for a group read-aloud - or should I say CD sing-along.  You can let the CD play while one of the kids turns the pages and you having a jolly old time acting out to the song.  So much fun for us crazy librarians!!! ;-)

I got my copy of Oh Dear, what can the matter be from the Taradale Primary School library where I work. 

You can find a copy at Napier Libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment