Pages

Saturday 31 January 2015

#365PictureBooks 31. I am not a Worm! by Scott Tulloch

Tulloch, S. (2014). I am not a worm! Auckland, New Zealand: Scholastic.

ISBN: 9781775432517
Pages: 32
Age Level: Early Childhood 0-6 / Middle Childhood 7-12
Genre: Picture Storybook / NZ Fiction
Rating: 5 stars

---------------

"Hello, little worm."
"I am not a worm."
"Are you sure?"
"YES!"


This is a humorous conversation, or should I say argument, between a caterpillar and a chameleon as the poor caterpillar tries to explain that He. Is. Not. A. Worm!










Watch as the caterpillar gets more and more and more worked up, until he manages to zip himself into his chrysalis.  And watch as the crafty chameleon just keeps winding him up!  I'm sure you know some people that are like this.  Soooooo annoying!!!!



Tulloch's illustrations are awesome!  Done in pale hues and in a graphic novel style format they work perfectly with the conversation that is occurring.  You can see the worms', woops! I meant caterpillars' annoyance building, while the chameleon's expressions are just so sly!




Such a wickedly awesome book.  Just watch out for the ending!  Ya know ... chameleons ... butterflies ... food!!!  It's a book that younger children will enjoy, for the humour of it and the illustrations.  But older kids will love it, because they will just 'get' what the chameleon is trying to do and what they think is going to happen.

I got my copy of I am not a worm! from the Taradale Primary School library where I work. 

You can find a copy at Napier Libraries.


No comments:

Post a Comment