Pages

Friday 27 March 2015

#365PictureBooks 71. Because I Stubbed My Toe by Shawn Byous

Byous, S. (2014). Because I Stubbed My Toe. North Mankato, MN: Capstone Young Readers.

ISBN: 9781623700881
Pages: 32
Age Level: Early Childhood 0-6
Genre: Picture Book
Rating: 5 stars

---------------

What a fantastic book for children young and old!  I love it!

One day a boy stubs his toe, which leads to a chain of events that are hilarious to follow,culminating in a rather delicious surprise. 

The story is just one sentence!  Each page describes the event's as they occur, presented in a large easy to read font.  The verbs (action words) are shown in bold so they stand out from the rest of the text.

Whilst it is not told in rhyme, it is a very easy text to read using lots of expression.  A sure-fire hit with the kids.

The illustrations are bright, bold and depict each event clearly.  The background images have been done in a greened-out wash which makes the focus images stand out.  After the initial page, many of the two-page spreads gives you a clue as to what the next event might be.


And you have got to check out the end-papers.  So many fantastic images!  See if you can match each image with the page they occur on.

A great book to add to your collection.  Good to use in class for prediction and cause & affect.

I got my copy of Because I Stubbed My Toe from the Taradale Primary School library where I work. 

You can find a copy at Napier Libraries.


No comments:

Post a Comment