Pages

Thursday 11 December 2014

My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes by Eve Sutton, illustrated by Lynley Dodd

Sutton, E., & Dodd, L. (1978). My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes. London, UK: Picture Puffin.

ISBN: 9780140502428
Pages: 32
Age Level: Early Childhood 0-6
Genre: Picture Storybook / NZ Fiction
Rating: 5 stars

---------------


‘Cats from many different countries may like to do all kinds of strange and exotic things, but my cat, an ordinary round-the-house cat, likes to hide in boxes’.

With simple rhymes and bright colourful illustrations, My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes is an entertaining read for young children.  The rhymes are repeated with a new line being added to the start each time (much like The Twelve Days of Christmas) enabling children to quickly pick up on the repetition and ‘read along’ to the story. 

Lynley Dodd, a well-known New Zealand author and illustrator, depicts each cat in a soft pallet set in a bold and bright background.  The simple illustrations relate directly to the new rhyme and amusingly show each new cat in the traditional dress of their country.  The common refrain, ‘But MY cat likes to hide in boxes’, is accompanied by humorous illustrations of the cat hiding in a variety of different boxes.

My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes is in the genre of a Picture Storybook, in that it is 32 pages long, and both the text and the illustrations tell the story.  Cat lovers and young children will love this book for the silly rhymes and the funny pictures.

English born, and moving to New Zealand in 1949, this is Eve Sutton’s only picture book, originally published in 1973, which she co-wrote with her cousin.

I got my copy of My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes from my bookshelf. 

Check out other reviews of 'My Cat Likes to Hide in Boxes' on Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment